35. You either feed or fight disease - Living well with Deborah Smith
You either feed or fight disease
Deborah C. Smith is a nutrition-focused health coach, juice bar owner, and artist living in NY. She is a graduate of the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and has owned and operated her vegan catering company, Green Pirate Juice, since 2007. Deborah has had the privilege of serving fresh, healthy foods and beverages to thousands of New Yorkers.
In 2022, she launched Plant Powered Kitchen, a step-by-step roadmap to the essentials of plant-based nutrition which includes interactive online cooking classes. In this course Deborah shares her knowledge and skills of basic nutrition, kitchen equipment, cooking methods, shopping, planning, prepping, scheduling meals and of course, creating delicious plant-based recipes!
Deborah champions a holistic approach to health and offers simple and effective tools that help her clients make realistic and manageable changes that add up to big results. In addition to her coaching programs, she has published a recipe book, Green Pirate Recipes: Volume 1 Juices, and a popular online course, Green Smoothies 101, which offers comprehensive lessons on how to incorporate more fresh fruits and vegetables into your daily diet by making green smoothies.
Fun facts about Deborah
- Built NYC’s first ever mobile juice truck from US Postal truck in 2007
- Built “live” juice bars on the set of dozens of popular TV and film sets including Gotham, Blue Bloods, Law & Order SVU, The Good Wife, Marvelous Ms. Maisel, the BackUp Plan (with JLo!) and more.
- Created juice bar pop-ups for many NY companies including Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Tiffany’s, Martha Stewart Living, THINX, J&J, Steven Klein
- Co-produced TV pilot of the Juice Truck story with Danny Devito’s production company
Here are the takeaways...
- Food is fuel. It's not supposed to be used for entertainment, celebration, emotions, or anything other than to fuel our bodies.
- Living enzymes with life vitality force are in the whole foods like fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes, grains and nuts.
- A plant-based diet is also known as plant-forward or plant-prioritizing. This diet mostly plants. Most of the time.
- A vegan diet is a morally guided plan that won't consume any product or food made from animals including leather or honey.
- A success tip is to crowd out less healthy foods with vibrant, whole, fresh fruits and vegetables rather than focusing on cutting things out.
- In the United States, we're living longer lives, but we're living sicker lives. We are living in the "Age of Man Made Illness" as opposed to Paleolithic Age. Most of these illnesses are caused by stress and food choices.
- It's not normal to feel bad all the time.
- Every meal you are either feeding disease or fighting disease.
- One simple thing you can do is choose to consume foods that have a chemical reaction in your body that lowers cortisol.
- Cutting back on caffeine can reduce anxiety.
- Chamomile lowers cortisol in your body.
- Stress blocks your body's ability to absorb nutrients.
Join Deborah's free masterclass - "Eat to Relieve Anxiety"
The Brain-Gut Connection. The microbiome is your second brain. Your digestive system has millions of cells, and your gut promotes wellness throughout the body. It can be the birthplace of silent inflammation which breed other diseases.
Join Deborah's signature course "Plant-Powered Kitchen"
***This is an affiliate link. I may receive financial compensation if you purchase this course.***
Register for the free Travel Bootcamp "I wanna travel"
Free Guide and Worksheet to feel better fast